The Privacy and security of citizens who use technology occupy an essential space in the news, sometimes causing alarm and concern. This is accentuated when it comes to the little ones.
The growing increase in toys with the ability to connect to other devices or through the Internet opens the door to new threats to children and their environment. To minimize the risks to which this particularly vulnerable group is exposed, in addition to making responsible use, toy manufacturers will also minimize the collection of data, carry out privacy and security evaluations or certify them as guarantees. Additional security than the traditional product.
The objective of the ‘Cybersecurity in Smart Toys’ guide is to assist manufacturers of this type of connected toys in establishing adequate levels of cybersecurity throughout their life cycle. To launch a toy that is as cyber-safe as possible for children, this guide addresses these issues:
- Vulnerabilities and risks of innovative toys, that is, the leading security flaws of connected toys, and the risks that affect minors and their environment, including loss of personal data, remote control, or interception of communications.
- Safety measures in manufacturing, organizational and technical measures that must be applied in the manufacturer’s processes. For example, specific cybersecurity certifications, having cybersecurity management throughout the product life cycle or appointing product cyber security managers.
- Security incorporated in the toy, security measures that the toy itself must incorporate, both in the authentication mechanisms and communications, guarantee product updates.
- How to guarantee the minor’s Privacy by following the recommendations to carry out adequate data processing by the law, identifying the treatments in which personal data are used, informing and obtaining the appropriate consent, and applying technical security measures that guarantee Privacy.
- Finally, the security of the mobile and web application is discussed, with the techniques to be implemented and the security measures necessary to achieve a mobile and web app with adequate levels of cybersecurity.
In addition, parents and educators should be careful about how these toys are used by minors and the characteristics they have. parents and educators have at their disposal a multitude of resources with which to promote safe and responsible use of the Internet and new technologies among children and adolescents.